THE LIBRARY AND LIBRARY RULES
Govt. Women’s College, Sambalpur library contains more than 35000 books, arranged into different sections and sub-sections. The members of the staff, the students of the College and other persons specially permitted by the Principal may use the library.
- The library functions from 9.30 A.M. to 4.30 P.M. and remains closed on Sunday and other holidays when the College remains closed.
- The last period of every working day is set apart for office work of the library and during that period no books are issued from daily issue section.
- No books shall be taken out of the library without the knowledge of the librarian. Books will be issued by the librarian and those should returned to her and to nobody else.
- Each borrower must examine the condition of the books before those are issued, otherwise in case of mutilation discovered later, the borrower would be held responsible for it.
- Books should be returned within the period allowed to a borrower.
- When the date for the return of book falls on an authorized holiday, it may be returned to the library on the day, library reopens.
- All library books should be returned before the Summer Vacation.
- All the books borrowed from the library shall be returned whenever a notice is served.
- The teaching staff can take books of their respective departments and in case of borrowing from other departments, the permission of the concerned department is necessary.
- A borrower against whom any overdue or other charges are outstanding shall not be allowed to borrow books from the library.
- The maximum number of books that may be issued to different categories of borrowers:-
(i) +2 students = 2 each
(ii) +3 (Pass) students = 4 each
(iii) +3 (Hons.) students = 6 each
(iv) M.A. = 6 each
(v) Member of teaching staff = 10 each
(vi) Ministerial staff = 3 each
(vii) Librarian = 3 each
(viii) Laboratory Assts/Demonstrator = 3 each
(ix) Store Keeper = 3 each
- The time allowed to the borrowers for returning the books.
i- Students 15 days
ii- Teaching staff 1 month
iii- Ministerial staff 15 days
iv- Lab. Asst./ Demonstrator 15 days
v- Librarian 15 days
vi- Store keeper 15 days
- Books for reference, Maps, Text Books, Courses of Studies, Questions and such other articles marked as reserved copy cannot be taken out of the library.
- Those who use library must observe strict silence while they are obliged to speak to the librarian, they should speak in a low voice Unauthorized entrance to library by an outsider is inadmissible.
- Any book lost, damaged or defaced by a borrower must be replaced by him. If books are not available, he/she to pay an amount up to a maximum of ten times of the Catalogue price of the book.
- In case of those students who fail to return the library books within the time allowed, a fine of Rs. 5 per books will be charged per each day of delay.
- A student who wants to take book from the library should go through the catalogue and write down the names of books and Catalogue numbers in the requisition slip and submit it to the librarian in time. After getting the books from the library, she should verify the entry of her names and books in the Register. At the time of return also, she should present the library card in which the date of return of the book would be entered under dated initial of the librarian.
- Students should submit their requisition slips and collect books through the counter.
- If a library card gets lost, another card would be issued on submission of application and on payment of Rs. 0.50 P. only.
- Books will be issued between the second and the fourth period.
- Caution money deposited by students are converted to non-refundable development fee from 1981-82 vide letter no. 28662/EYS / 31.7.81 of Govt. of Orissa.
- Those that use the library are supposed to have known the library rules and agreed to abide by them. Ignorance of the rules will not be considered as an excuse for violating the same. Copy of the letter no. 2G29C245546, Dt. 18.10.86 from the Director of Higher Education, Orissa, Bhubaneswar addressed to the Principals of all Govt. and Non-Govt. Colleges.
Return of library books by borrower
(i) In case of loss of the books, ten times of the cost of books which are out of print and out of market should be realized. It must be insisted that books be replaced as far as practicable.
(ii) In case of the transfer of the employees, students, the documents like L.P.C., T.C., Mark sheets should not be issued unless a clearance certificate is received from the librarian.
(iii) In case of retirement, the financial benefit like sanction of Final withdrawal of G.P.F., Pension paper should be held up unless the clearance certificate is received from the librarian.